I finished that second purple sweater a couple weeks ago, but it wasn’t without troubles.
There was a lot of seaming. And once seamed, there was the trying-on. This sweater was about 4″ too long when I tried it on. But I could see that I liked the shape of it, and I wanted to be able to wear it eventually, so I ripped back. That wasn’t one simple step….
I had to undo the side seams I’d put in – luckily I had started to realize how long it was, so I left the ends hanging for easier pulling out of that.
Then I ripped back from the bind off end – nice and easy. I ripped back about 6″, stopping at a ribbed section, then added more ribbing on to that section for about 2″. Easy.
Then I had to make the other side match. That side was the cast-on side, and knitting does not pull out in that direction. I picked out the cast on and about a row and a half more before I gave up and just took some scissors to it. I cut in the middle of a rib section, thinking it’d be easy to make sure I had all the stitches, then I could continue ribbing. But, because I was now knitting in the other direction, everything was half a stitch off. So I tediously pulled out to the last row of the previous lace section, knit a row to get settled, then did the 3″ of ribbing.
Then I got to re-sew the side seams and weave in the ends for real!
Since then it has been (mostly) warm, and husband has been busy with class, so there are no fancy photos as of yet, but I do have this screencap:
I started a podcast! It is called Knitting Go!, and it is on iTunes, and has its own blog. I wear the sweater in episode 4.
More details on the sweater can be found here.